Monday, August 4, 2008

jordan's letters

Dear family,                                                                                  July 21, 2008
    Just so you all know I won't be able to check my e-mail while I'm in this area.  All the libraries nearby are closed on Mondays.  So---break out those pens again and give the old fashioned way a try.
    I guess i"ll just give you all the brief about the new area.  The area itself is a tough area.  It is huge geographically but there are basically no big towns so all the houses are spread out.  It is close to where Joseph Smith was born.  The church building is by the monument so I'll be there at least every week.  
    The teaching pool.  There is only really one man we are teaching and he has been taught for months and months.  Hopefully we can help him finally decide to be baptized but he has some big word of wisdom issues he'll need to overcome. 
    the members.  There hasn't been a baptism in a long time so the members aren't too fired up but there are some really nice people here.    They  are trying to get the ward more excited about missionary work.  There are some members who have already said they will help us out when we need it so that's good. 
    The living arrangements.  We live in the basement of the Bishop's house.  He is really young and kind of interesting but he is     a good guy.  His family is up in Canada right now so we haven't met them.  (His wife is Canadian.)
    Transportation.  We do not have close to enough miles.  The area is just too big so it will be tough.  We drive a 2008 chevy Malibu which is nice but the past two Elders used most of the miles so we have been biking a lot.  Apparently missionaries here have to bike in order to be able to do everything they want.  Biking has been tough especially in the rain but our spirits haven't been dampened even if everything else has. 
    The companion.  Elder Williams is from Sandy, Utah.  He has only been out one transfer (6 weeks)  but he is an awesome kid.  He wants to work hard and be obedient so we are getting along very well.  I like him a lot.
    We have been working really hard trying to figure out who's who and where's where as well as trying to find people, to teach.  We haven't had a lot of success yet, but it really isn't getting us down.  We are happy and we know we will see miracles soon.
                                                                                                                                                    Love Elder Pitt



Dear Family,                                                                                                                July 28, 2008
    Another week come and gone.  The New Englanders are beginning to talk about how winter is just around the corner.  I can't really believe that but I guess it is not too far. I'm just excited for the fall that comes between then and now. 
    I think that I probably worked harder last week than any other week of my mission and in all the areas, that is, spiritual, physical, mental, social.  But I can also say that I haven't been too much happier (at least consistently) at any other time than I am now.  I truly feel live I am giving it my all and doing my best.  That doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement though, because there certainly is.
    The brethren have said that in Northeast North America missionaries ought to be teaching at least 20-25 lessons a week.  I don't believe I have ever done that in my 6 months out so it's definitely a challenge.  Bur Elder Williams and I are taking it personally and we created a plan that I think will help us achieve our goal.  We've seen some improvement but we still have a ways to go.
    President Jensen came out teaching with us for one lesson this past week which was cool.  The assistants also came and tracted with us.  On one day we biked 32 plus miles and on another we walked probably 15 or more.  Timmy, our one real investigator, come to church yesterday.  The members have been feeding us fairly well.  We sat down and talked with one of the senior couple missionaries here (there are many) and talked about what they do.  (Mom and Dad, I'm excited for when you can go.)  We had interviews with the President this week.  We also found a few potential investigators. 
    I really don't have too much to say and I kinda feel bad about it.  I know my letters have been short lately.  Maybe that's a sign that I'm working hard or maybe just that the work is a bit slow in this area.  Maybe a little of both , I don't know.
    Elder Williams and I are trying to consistently pray that we will find at least just one person who is actually really interested in learning.  Just one that we can really focus on teaching and progressing.  We'd appreciate your prayers, too.  I love you all.
                                                                                                                                            Love, Elder Pitt


Get more from your digital life. Find out how.

No comments: